Your Des Moines Smoke Detectors Expert
At Lazer Home Services, we take great pride in providing homeowners throughout the Des Moines area with peace of mind and additional safety through the installation of Des Moines Smoke Detectors and fire alarms. We are the premier smoke detectors experts in the area, and we are happy to help you keep you, your family, and your home safe through our services.
Whether you’re building a new home or room addition and need smoke detectors installed, or you’re interested in our maintenance and repair services for the existing smoke detectors in your house, our highly qualified Des Moines Electrician is always ready to help out.
The Importance of Smoke Detectors
Fires can grow and spread very quickly, which is why having functioning smoke alarms in your Des Moines area home can mean the difference between life and death. These life-saving devices are only effective when they’re working properly. Smoke alarms with batteries that are dead, disconnected, or missing can’t alert you to the dangers of smoke and fire.
Where Should Smoke Alarms Be Installed?
Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home, including the basement, and there should be an alarm outside every separate sleeping area. New homes are required to have a smoke alarm in every sleeping room and all smoke alarms must be interconnected.
Hard-wired smoke alarms operate on your household electrical current. They can be interconnected so that every alarm sounds regardless of the fire’s location. This is an advantage in early warning, because it gives occupants extra time to escape if they are in a part of the home the fire has yet to reach. Alarms that are hard-wired should have battery backups in case of a power outage, and should be installed by a qualified, professional electrician.
If you sleep with bedroom doors closed, have one of our qualified electricians install interconnected smoke alarms in each room so that when one alarm sounds, they all sound.
If you or someone in your Des Moines home is deaf or hard of hearing, consider installing an alarm that combines flashing lights, vibration and/or sound.
Additional Tips for Installing Smoke Detectors & Fire Alarms
- Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings (remember, smoke rises). Ceiling mounted smoke detectors should be installed at least four inches away from the nearest wall; wall-mounted fire alarms should be installed four to 12 inches away from the ceiling.
- If your Des Moines home has ceilings that are pitched, install the alarm near the ceiling’s highest point.
- Don’t install smoke alarms near windows, doors, or ducts where drafts might interfere with their operation.
- Never paint smoke alarms. Paint, stickers, or other decorations could keep the alarms from working properly.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Another item you should consider having installed is a carbon monoxide detector. This safety device is a necessity if you have any appliances in your Des Moines area home that are fueled by gas. Carbon monoxide is just as deadly as fire, if not more so because you can’t see or hear it.
Protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning by having a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home today, and get peace of mind knowing you’ll be alerted if there is a gas leak in your home.
Our Des Moines Smoke Detectors Provides These Detailed Services
- Smoke Detectors
- Smoke Detector
- Smoke Detector Installation
- Smoke Detector Replacement
- Wired Smoke Detector
- Wireless Smoke Detector
- Smoke Detector Placement
- First Alert Smoke Detector
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Smoke Detector in Des Moines
- Des Moines Smoke Detector